Would You Swap?
Would you swap? After seeing this video, probably not…. so let’s delve into what it is exactly pigs face in their short lives.
Is all the pain and torment experienced by these animals really worth the taste?
We are led to believe that Britain has the highest animal welfare standards in the world, where animals live happy lives free from suffering. Well, here is the truth about pig farming in the UK. Viva!’s investigations over the years have helped to expose the endless horrors endured by these animals in UK pig farms.
- Over 10 million pigs are slaughtered every year in the UK
- 98 per cent of pigs are kept indoors for the majority of their lives… Only 2 per cent of pigs spend their entire lives outdoors
- Female pigs (sows) are forcibly restrained and repeatedly impregnated using artificial insemination
- Sows are kept in farrowing crates for up to 4 weeks after giving birth to her piglets – this is a metal frame or cage so small she is unable ever to turn around!
- Piglets are subjected to routine mutilations before they are weaned, including tail docking (slicing off most of the tail), castration, and teeth clipping (snapping off the four most prominent teeth) without any pain relief
- Pigs are slaughtered at just 5-6 months of age, a fraction of their natural 15-20 year lifespan
- 88 per cent of pigs are killed using a high concentration of carbon dioxide (CO2) in gas chambers, where they thrash around, panic and scream for up to 30 seconds before losing consciousness. The CO2 turns to acid when it touches wet surfaces including eyes, lungs, and mouths
The only way to truly end the suffering of pigs and other animals is to stop exploiting and consuming them. Hundreds of delicious, affordable alternatives to meat are available
Are you a student eager to bring VR gear to your university? Viva!’s Schools & Universities campaigners are searching for university hosts ready to join the animal rights movement.
By filling out this quick form, you’ll receive FREE a pack of resources to kickstart your own stall and the chance to bring VR experiences and vegan treats to your campus! Join us in shedding light on factory farming’s harsh reality. Fill out the form today!
Vegan Recipe Club
More Easy Vegan Swaps
Get Involved with Viva! Today
Want to make a stand for what’s right and stop this unnecessary suffering? Be their voice and join Viva! in asking, would you swap for a kinder world? Spare animals from their cruel fate and contribute to a healthier planet, happier animals and a conscientious new you.
Become a Member (FREE for STUDENTS)
Work with Viva! at your Uni