Release date: January 15 2021
- HOGWOOD: a modern horror story is a ground-breaking documentary which follows a group of intrepid undercover investigators as they enter the UK’s biggest factory farms and fight against some of the most powerful players in the animal agriculture industry.
- The documentary is presented by Jerome Flynn, Game of Thrones actor and vegan activist.
- HOGWOOD has won multiple awards and accolades from film festivals and critics. Today, it was awarded the Best Documentary Award at the Liverpool Underground Film Festival.
HOGWOOD: a modern horror story tells the disturbing tale of Hogwood Farm and how it came to be one of the most infamous pig farms in the UK. It weaves a chilling tale of negligence and inaction, interspersed with powerful expert interviews from the fields of environmental science, health, veterinary care, and vegan activism.
Today, HOGWOOD was awarded the Best Documentary award at the Liverpool Underground Film Festival. The festival seeks to showcase daring, unique, and entertaining independent films that transgress convention.
Richard Weston, Liverpool Underground Film Festival Director said:
“To paraphrase Werner Herzog, a filmmaker must not be a fly on the wall, but a hornet that stings. Hogwood uncovers some brutal truths of animal farming. It is as harrowing as it is vital.”
The film has gained international recognition from film reviewers, has been rated five stars on one of the biggest streaming platforms Amazon Prime, and has won multiple awards for exceptional documentary film-making, including the Wild Animal Award from the British Documentary Film Festival.
Brian Lewis, the British Documentary Film Festival Coordinator said:
“HOGWOOD handled an incredibly disturbing topic very well. It left a lasting impact on our judges and certainly changed some of our staff’s food habits as a result. We would urge everyone to educate themselves on factory farming and start by watching HOGWOOD.”
Tony Wardle, Director of HOGWOOD and Associate Director of Viva! said:
“I am thrilled that HOGWOOD has been awarded the Best Documentary Award at the Liverpool Underground Film Festival. This film encapsulates so much about Viva! – I am proud of our brilliant investigations team that consistently brings together powerful footage and of our director, Juliet, who infuses her own passion into the horror. HOGWOOD is more than just a film – it exposes the modern horror stories taking place each day, hidden away in the idyllic British countryside. The public has a right to see what goes on behind the factory farm walls.”
For more information or to review HOGWOOD please contact Roisin McAuley, Head of Communications, on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Full list of awards and official selections:
- The British Documentary Film Festival, The International Vegan Film Festival, The Latitude Film Awards, The Edinburgh Film Festival, The London City Film Awards, The London Independent Film Awards, and The Liverpool Underground Film Festival.
- Reviews of HOGWOOD by film critics:
About the Liverpool Underground Film Festival
The Liverpool Underground Film Festival seeks to showcase daring, unique, and entertaining independent films that transgress convention while challenging complacent audience expectations. We are committed to supporting filmmakers working outside of established industry infrastructures by providing a platform for exhibition and critical discussion, while fostering an alternative, international community based around independent and experimental cinema.
Viva! is the UK’s leading vegan campaigning charity (registered charity number 1037486), specialising in undercover investigations and high-profile animal campaigns. Founded in 1994 by Juliet Gellatley, we have spent more than 25 years creating a kinder, more sustainable world for humans and animals alike.