Scientific review shows how and why a vegan diet can be a lifesaver
A comprehensive review of research studies on diets and cardiovascular health made perfectly clear how amazing a healthy vegan diet can be. The scientists came to these conclusions about what a wholesome plant-based diet can do for your heart:
- Reduce the risk of heart disease by 40 per cent
- Reduce the risk of death from cardiovascular disease by 40 percent
- Fully or partially remove harmful plaques from blocked arteries in up to 91 per cent of patients
- Reduce the risk of high blood pressure by 34 percent
- Reduce blood cholesterol from high to normal levels
- Help achieve or maintain a healthy weight
- Reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes
The authors conclude that plant-based diets should be promoted through dietary guidelines and recommendations because they can not only prevent but also reverse atherosclerosis, heart disease and associated health issues.
Kahleova H, Levin S and Barnard ND, 2018. Vegetarian Dietary Patterns and Cardiovascular Disease. Progress in Cardiovascular Disease. 61 (1): 54-61.