Job summary: An exciting, rare opportunity to be part of an expanding and dynamic vegan campaigning charity.
About us: Viva! is the UK’s leading vegan campaigning charity, specialising in undercover investigations and high-profile animal and environmental campaigns. Founded in 1994 we have spent 27 years creating a kinder, more sustainable world for humans and animals alike. We focus on four key areas: Animals, Planet, Health and Lifestyle.
Location: Bristol HQ
Hours: 35 per week
Holidays: 4 weeks plus at least 5 days at Xmas (plus usual bank holidays), increasing with length of employment
Salary (depending on experience):
- Senior Environment Campaigner £25,000 to £28,000
- Environment Campaigner £22,000 to £25,000
Closing date: 19 December 2021 – interviews will take place week of 17 January 2022
Reports to: Campaigns Manager
Contract type: Permanent role
Degree in environmental science, ecology, conservation, biology or microbiology; other science degrees considered.
The Environment Campaigner role is suitable for graduates preferably with some work experience. Candidates with solid experience in a campaigning role or similar will be considered for the Senior Environment Campaigner role.
Are you a driven campaigner and passionate about Viva! and our aims?
The Senior Environment Campaigner/Environment Campaigner will be key to ‘Viva! Planet’ campaigns, working closely with the rest of the team on high-impact public pressure and awareness campaigns to increase veganism in the UK and educate the public on why to go vegan for the planet and animals. They will be part of Viva!’s vibrant campaigns team specialising in environmental issues relating to veganism – but will sometimes work on other topics – and report to the Campaigns Manager. The role involves working with other team members to develop and deliver powerful campaign strategies focusing on the environment and the fact that animal agriculture is the leading factor for environmental breakdown. The science background will enable the candidate to take complex finding from scientific papers and translate them into powerful campaign messages and easy-to-understand content. We’re seeking a proactive, energetic individual with a creative mindset, who has the ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team. The successful applicant will be a strong team player and enjoy working closely with others.
This is a busy role and will offer the right candidate an excellent opportunity to utilise their knowledge and passion for the environment and animals to help Viva! raise awareness of why we have to go vegan to save our planet.
- Become an expert on all things vegan, particularly relating to the environment and how and why to go vegan
- Develop coordinate and lead campaign activities including street actions, photo-calls, stunts and other events
- Utilise scientific papers and reports to create powerful campaigns
- Keep up-to-date with news reports relating to the environment and veganism and write news responses
- Create, develop, project manage and implement new and exciting campaigns
- Be an active spokesperson for Viva! on national TV, radio or other press opportunities
- Research all aspects of campaigns as necessary; produce written and fully referenced background reports
- Research all aspects of how animals are used by humans, including those that are eaten/worn, relating to the environment. Maintaining and updating this information as appropriate
- Write features, blogs and news items for Viva!Life magazine and external publications and websites
- Produce campaign updates, evaluations and write-ups to share with the team, director and supporters
- Contribute to all other Viva! campaigns
- Due to the nature of this role, out-of-hours work will be required
Skills and knowledge
- Ability to analyse environmental issues and reports in terms of campaign opportunities and overall strategic objectives
- Experience in (grassroots) campaigning, activism or advocacy
- Ability to come up with creative ideas
- Engaging and motivating personality
- Ability to understand scientific papers and reports and translate them into easy-to-understand content
- Ability to deliver high quality work, quickly, in a dynamic organisation under time pressure
- Excellent verbal, written and visual communications
- Self-motivated and self-managing with ability to take initiative
- Strong public presentation, and media communications skills (training provided)
- Working with people and organisations to achieve objectives
- Creating compelling resources/materials both on and offline
- A positive attitude and excellent interpersonal skills
- Can-do attitude in the face of challenging campaigns and enthusiastic about solving problems
- Confident and articulate
- Strong team player
- Proactive, can-do attitude
- Excellent attention to detail
- Commitment to the objectives of the organisation
- Valid UK driver’s licence
How to apply
To apply please email your CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to work for Viva!, how your experience fits this role and what you can bring to Viva!.
Important – your CV must contain two referees, including your current (or most recent) employer who will only be contacted if you are offered the job, and your current (or most recent) salary.
Please send your CV and covering letter with the role you’re applying for in the subject line to Jess Nagji-Nunn, Executive Assistant to the Director, at email@example.com
PLEASE NOTE CV APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED UNLESS ACCOMPANIED BY A COVER LETTER