Job summary: An exciting, rare opportunity to play a key role in an expanding and dynamic vegan campaigning charity.
About Viva!: Viva! is the UK’s leading vegan campaigning charity, specialising in undercover investigations and high-profile animal and environmental campaigns. Founded in 1994 we have spent 27 years creating a kinder, more sustainable world for humans and animals alike. We focus on four key areas: Animals, Planet, Health and Lifestyle.
Location: Bristol HQ
Hours: 35 per week
Holidays: 4 weeks plus at least 5 days at Xmas (plus usual bank holidays), increasing with length of employment
Salary: £27,750 to £33,500, depending on experience
Closing date: 31 January 2022
Reports to: Head of Communications
Experience: several years’ experience in PR roles, either in-house or agency. Proven media relations success on both national and regional levels is crucial. PR and media management experience, including both online and traditional PR.
Are you an experienced PR professional and passionate about Viva! and our aims? The PR Manager will initiate and organise Viva!’s PR, as well as have a key input into Viva!’s marketing, campaigns and communications initiatives. The PR Manager will report to the Head of Communications and work as part of the communications team. Responsible for overseeing all of Viva!’s media, this role plays an integral part in promoting both the charity and veganism in general. From securing national media coverage for Viva!’s campaigns to promoting events and writing news responses, the PR Manager will be able to create compelling and engaging content, whilst also building strong and lasting relationships with journalists. They will identify new PR opportunities for Viva!, build relationships with national media and ensure the organisation gains maximum exposure.
This is a busy role which offers an excellent opportunity to use your skills to help Viva! break through to the mainstream and promote veganism to the masses!
- Manage all incoming press enquiries
- Actively seek PR opportunities for all of Viva!’s key areas; Animals, Health, Planet and Lifestyle
- Manage and respond to journalist requests service
- Write and respond to relevant news relating to veganism and Viva!
- Be an active spokesperson for Viva! on national TV, radio or any other press opportunity
- Organising and overseeing media interviews with agencies
- Pitching Viva! spokespeople to the media
- Develop and manage Viva!’s celebrity engagement
- Seek media opportunities for key Viva! staff, including the Director
- Work closely with Viva! departments to ensure all of Viva!’s campaigns/ projects are promoted
- Ensure Viva! Health’s media responses are shared with national media
- Strong ability to identify new outlets/ media/ topics of interest whereby Viva! can be promoted
- Gain coverage for Viva!’s undercover investigations in national media
- PR crisis management
- Due to the nature of this role, occasional out of hours work will be required
Skills and knowledge
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to forge relationships with journalists/media
- Up to date understanding of PR and social media developments and trends
- Experience working with media and developing strong newsworthy stories positioned relative to the target audience
- Understanding of the workings of local and national media
- Experience preparing and delivering persuasive and engaging content, including writing media releases, media briefings, articles, blogs, op eds
- Excellent IT skills including knowledge of content management systems, social media tools, media monitoring portals and email marketing
- Experience of editorial processes and management including content planning, copywriting, proofreading, design and production
- Able to support video production
- An ideas person with experience creating new PR concepts
- Confident and articulate
- Strong team player
- Proactive, can-do attitude
- Excellent attention to detail
How to apply
To apply please email your CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to work for Viva!, why you want this role and what you can bring to Viva!.
Important – your CV must contain two referees, including your current (or most recent) employer who will only be contacted if you are offered the job, and your current (or most recent) salary.
Please send your CV and covering letter to Jess Nagji-Nunn, Executive Assistant to the Director, at email@example.com