Smells Like Teen Spirit
What’s Cookin’? – recipes to get you started
Mixed Berry Crumble
A berry nice variation on an old favourite! You can buy frozen berries from the supermarket if they’re out of season for a vibrant vitamin C boost in winter - just remember to defrost them before cooking.
- 225g/8oz plain wholemeal flour
- 150g/5oz soft brown sugar
- 75g/3oz margarine
- 5ml/1 level tsp baking powder
- Fruity filling
- 45og/1lb mixed berry fruits
- 1-2 tbsp caster sugar, to taste.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4
- Sieve flour into large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle in sieved baking powder.
- Add margarine and rub in lightly, using your fingertips.
- When mixture looks crumbly and the fat dispersed evenly, add sugar and combine.
- In an oven-proof lightly greased dish, place fruit, then add crumble topping.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes. Serve with custard, vanilla dessert, soya cream or ice cream or yoghurt.