Smells Like Teen Spirit
What’s Cookin’? – recipes to get you started
Plum, Toffee & Almond Pudding 1000 Classic Veggie Recipes
- 50g/2oz vegetable margarine
- 225g/8oz light brown sugar
- 15ml/1tbsp lemon juice
- 5 thick slices wholemeal bread, crusts removed, cut into 2.5cm/1inch squares
- 450g/1lb ripe plums, halved and pitted (*if not in season, use tinned, but do not cook)
- 50g/2oz almonds, flaked
- Plain yoghurt or cream
- Melt margarine in large heavy-based frying pan.
- Add sugar and lemon juice and heat, stirring until the sugar melts.
- Add bread cubes and fold into toffee to coat completely (take care not to break up the bread too much).
- Add plums.
- Cover and cook gently for about 5 minutes or until plums are tender*
- Stir again gently and sprinkle with almonds.
- Serve with a dollop of yoghurt/cream/vanilla soya dessert/soya dreem/ice cream…