Smells Like Teen Spirit
What’s Cookin’? – recipes to get you started
Hummus & Veggie Sticks. Mixed nuts and raisins snack
- 410g/14oz tin chickpeas (keep juice)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (or more to taste)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 rounded dsp light tahini (Tahini is a sesame seed paste packed with calcium, vitamins and protein and available in jars from supermarkets, delis and health food shops – look in the foreign food section).
- Assorted veggies, chopped lengthways. Good veggies to eat raw include carrots, red or yellow peppers, celery or cucumber - on their own or a selection.
- Place all ingredients (not veggies) into a blender or food processor.
- Whizz, adding a little bean juice/water to thin down hummus as necessary.
- Add salt to taste.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge - this way it will last a couple of days.
- Chopped veggies can be stored in a plastic bag in the fridge & taken out in the morning.
If you want something a little more filling, use the hummus to make sandwiches. Tomato and cucumber go well with it.