Smells Like Teen Spirit
What’s Cookin’? – recipes to get you started
Red Lentil Dip A Vegan Taste
of the Middle East
- 115g/4oz red lentils
- 1 rounded tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste, found in foreign or health
food section of supermarkets or health stores/delis)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ¼tsp paprika
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Wash lentils, put in a pan and cover with water.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain lentils in a sieve over a bowl and keep 2 tbsp of cooking liquid.
- Put lentils in a mixing bowl and stir in tahini and olive oil.
garlic, lemon juice and paprika.
- Add cooking liquid gradually – if
it’s too wet don’t
use it all, if too dry, add a bit of water. You want a moist
but not so wet that it’s dead sloppy!
- Add black pepper then
- Transfer to a serving bowl, cover and chill.
- Serve with toast, rice
cakes, crusty bread, raw veggies… whatever
takes your fancy!