Wine and Dine
Chocolate Berry Cake
60 minutes preparation and baking time
One of the best chocolate cakes ever!
55g/2oz hazelnuts or flaked almonds
250g/9oz self-raising flour
85g/3oz cocoa powder
3 tsp baking powder
250g/9oz caster sugar
1½ tsp vanilla extract
120ml/4fl oz plain oil (not olive)
360ml/12fl oz soya milk
125g/4½ oz frozen raspberries or frozen mixed berries (don’t use fresh – they are too soft to bake)
1. Grease a 20cm/8 inch loose bottomed cake tin and line the base with greaseproof paper.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 (NB. Reduce this if using a fan-assisted oven).
3. In a non-stick frying pan, gently roast the nuts until golden brown.
4. Cool, then – if using whole hazelnuts - chop into small chunks.
5. Sift flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into a bowl.
6. Mix in sugar, vanilla extract, oil and soya milk.
7. Beat mixture until it becomes a thick batter.
8. Stir in nuts and berries.
9. Pour into cake tin and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the cake is cooked. The inside should be slightly gooey.
10. Allow to cool then transfer to a wire rack – or serve it warm.
11. Good with dairy-free cream or vanilla soya dessert.