Wine and Dine
Tropical Mango and Pecan Cheesecake The Vegan Cookbook
- 65g/2½oz/5tbsp margarine
- 175g/6oz/½ cup oat biscuits, crushed
- 40g/1/½/¼ cup ground almonds
- 1 large mango, diced
- juice of 1 lemon
- 200g/7oz/scant 1 cup plain soya yoghurt
- 15ml/1tbsp cornflour
- 45ml/3tbsp maple syrup
- 2x225g/8oz tub vegan cream cheese
- 50g/2oz/½ cup shelled pecan nuts
- 30ml/2tbsp maple syrup
- 1 mango, diced
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Melt margarine in a saucepan, stir in crushed biscuits and ground almonds. Mix well.
- Press biscuit mix into the base of a deep, lightly greased 23cm/9inch loose-bottomed cake tin, using back of a wooden spoon to press down evenly.
- Cook in oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile blend roughly chopped mango, lemon juice, yoghurt, cornflour, maple syrup and cream cheese in a food process or blender until smooth. Pour mix over the biscuit base and smooth with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until lightly golden and set.
- Allow to cool in tin, then transfer to a wire rack and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To make topping, toast the pecan nuts in a dry frying pan until browned. Heat maple syrup in a separate pan and add to pecan nuts. Stir well to coat. Remove from hat and brush top of cheesecake with the maple syrup.
- Arrange pecan nuts around edge of cheesecake, reserving a few to decorate centre. Arrange mango inside outer circle of nuts. Pour over any remaining maple syrup.