Wine and Dine
Avocado and Mushroom Pilaff Easy Vegan Cooking
- 340g/12oz/2 cups brown rice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 115g/4oz/½ cup vegan margarine
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 170g/6oz/3 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 6 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 avocados, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp parsley, minced
- Soak rice overnight or for several hours.
- Melt half margarine in a saucepan and sauté onion and garlic until golden brown.
- Drain rice and add it to saucepan, stirring well.
- Add sea salt to taste and enough water to cover rice. Bring to boil, turn heat down to low and simmer until cooked.
- Meanwhile, melt remainder of margarine in a frying pan and add mushrooms. Sauté for 2 or 3 minutes, then add tomatoes, oregano, sea salt and black pepper and cook for 3 or 4 minutes longer.
- Stir avocados into tomato and mushroom mixture.
- Arrange rice on a serving dish in a ring and fill centre with avocado mixture. Sprinkle parsley over top.