Wine and Dine
Oven-Baked Sweet Potato and Red Pepper Soup 1000 Classic Vegetarian Dishes
- 500g/1lb yellow-fleshed sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 red onion, roughly sliced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 red peppers, halved and deseeded
- 400-500ml/14-17fl oz stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Paprika to garnish
- Preheat oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas Mark 6.
- Put sweet potatoes and onion in a roasting tin, sprinkle with oil and move them around with hands to distribute oil.
- Add peppers, then bake until all vegetables tender – about 45 minutes.
- Place cooked vegetables in a blender or food processor with some of stock and purée.
- Add more of stock a little at a time and process after each addition, until you have consistency you want.
- Tip soup into saucepan, season with salt and pepper to taste and reheat before serving, sprinkled with paprika.
If you are making soup as soon as vegetables are cooked, and want to eat immediately, have stock already hot, then you won’t have to reheat soup in a saucepan after you have puréed it.
- Stir a knob of creamed coconut into soup after puréeing. It will melt as soup is reheated, giving a creamy sweetness which may need a squirt of lemon or lime juice to balance it.
- Another option is to make soup hotter by adding a little cayenne pepper or chilli powder.