Quick & Easy Veggie Cooking
The Most Comforting Soup in the World Vegetarian
4 large servings
35 minutes: 10 minutes preparation, 25 minutes cooking
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g/1lb onions, sliced
- 750g/1½lb potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm/½ inch pieces
- 1200ml/2½ pints water
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly grated ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan.
- Add onions, cover pan and cook very gently until onions really tender but
not browned – about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put potatoes in another saucepan with water.
- Bring to boil and cook until very tender.
- Then put potatoes with their cooking water and big spoonful of cooked onion
into blender or food processor and purée to smooth cream.
- Mix potato cream with remaining onions, adding little more water if necessary
to give consistency you want.
- Season to taste with plenty of freshly grated nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Reheat gently and serve.