Quick & Easy Veggie Cooking
Rosti & Beans 1000 Classic Vegetarian Dishes
20 minutes: 10 minutes preparation, 10 minutes cooking
- 500g/1lb 2oz organic potatoes, scrubbed not peeled
- 1 teaspoon fennel, caraway or cumin seeds (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 425g/14oz can baked beans
- Grate potatoes coarsely by hand or using a food processor.
- Add seeds, if using, and season well with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large frying pan, preferably non-stick, and add grated potato mixture, spreading evenly over base of pan and pressing down.
- Cover and cook gently for about 5 minutes, or until underside golden brown and crisp.
- Ease rosti away from frying pan using a fish slice or palette knife, and slide out onto large plate.
- Heat rest of oil in frying pan, then slide rosti off plate into hot oil to cook second side.
- Cook, uncovered – to keep cooked side crisp – for further 4-5 minutes, or until second side golden brown and potato cooked right through.
- A few minutes before rosti ready, heat baked beans gently in a saucepan.
- Cut rosti into halves or wedges and serve with beans.