Around The World in 80 Ways
Pasta with Aubergine & Artichokes
- 450g/1lb pasta, such as pappardelle, noodles or penne
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 large aubergines, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans artichoke hearts, drained & each cut into 2-4 pieces, according
to size – not too small or they won’t keep their shape
- 15 sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp capers, rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp pine nuts
- handful fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- Florentino Parmazano if required
- freshly ground black pepper
- *salt if required (remember capers are quite salty, so be cautious!)
large saucepan of water to boil for pasta.
for 10-12 minutes, according to packet instructions and how soft you like
heat oil in a large pan and add onion and aubergine.
and cook gently for 7-10 minutes or until aubergine tender.
garlic and cook for further 1-2 minutes.
artichokes and add to mixture, along with sun dried tomatoes and capers.
pine nuts in dry saucepan & stir so they turn golden but don’t
pasta ready, drain in colander then return to still hot pan.
aubergine mixture and season with salt* and black pepper.
on warm plates and scatter with pine nuts and basil.
Parmesan separately if using.