Around The World in 80 Ways
Fresh Tomato & Bean Soup
- 900g/2lb plum tomatoes (Or you can cheat and use two tins of chopped! If
so, start at no. 4)
- 30ml/2 tbsp olive oil
- 275g/10oz onions, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 900ml/1½ pts/3¾ cups vegetable stock
- 30ml/2 tbsp sun dried tomato paste
- 10ml/2 tsp paprika
- 15ml/1 tbsp cornflour
- 425g/15oz tin cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 30ml/2tbsp chopped fresh basil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- olive bread, to serve
using fresh tomatoes, place in bowl of just boiled water.
for 20-30 seconds, then drain off in cold water.
skins, quarter and cut each piece in half again.
oil in large pan and cook onions and garlic for 3 minutes, until soft.
tomatoes to onion garlic mix, add stock, tomato paste and paprika.
with a little salt and pepper.
you like warm bread, turn on oven to medium heat and put bread on a baking
to boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
cornflour to a paste with 30ml/2tbsp cold water.
beans into soup with cornflour paste.
seasoning and stir in chopped basil, just before serving.
with warm olive bread, if using.