Around The World in 80 Ways
Sweet & Sour Tofu Stir-Fry with Noodles Vegetarian
- 125g/4oz thin noodles
- 4 tsp toasted sesame oil or plain cooking oil if you can’t get it
- 250-300g/8-10oz packet firm tofu, drained and sliced long ways into 2-3 ‘steaks,
depending on thickness of slab
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 courgette, cut into matchsticks
- 125g/4oz mange tout, halved
- 8 spring onions, sliced
- 250g/8oz can water chestnuts, drained and halved
- ½ tsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp shoyu or tamari soya sauce
- 1 tsp castor sugar
- 1 tbsp syrup (golden or date)
- 1 tbsp sherry
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (use ½ white wine vinegar to ½ water if
you can’t get it)
kettle for noodles.
2 tsp of sesame oil in a frying pan or wok, add tofu ‘steaks’ and
fry on both sides until crisp and golden brown. This will take about 4-5
minutes on each side and you may need to do it in two batches, depending
on size of pan, so do it before you begin work on vegetables.
noodles in pan of boiling water for required time on packet, drain in cold
water and set aside.
tofu is cooking, mix together sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set
remaining sesame oil in a wok and add all vegetables.
for 3-4 minutes until heated through but still crunchy.
tofu golden brown on each side, remove and drain on kitchen paper.
sauce a quick stir then pour into wok and stir until thickened.
tofu into small pieces, add to pan and stir until coated with sauce.
noodles through gently and serve sweet & sour veggies with them.