Vegetarian Slimming & Vegetarian Health
Polenta Rounds with Roasted Peppers & Basil Low Fat, Low Sugar
40 minutes plus, depending on whether you use fresh or bottled red peppers – and whether you make polenta rounds in advance.
Beautiful to look at and delicious to the tastebuds!
Top tip - you can cook the polenta the night before, form it into 4 rounds and leave to cool in the fridge, which will save time when cooking the following evening.
- 175g/6oz/1 heaped cup polenta
- 1 tsp salt
- 600ml/20fl oz/2½ cups water
- 2 large sweet peppers or half a large jar of roasted red peppers in brine.
- 4 sprigs basil
- Put polenta into a pan (preferably non-stick) with the salt.
- Add the water, a little at a time – stirring to make a smooth mixture.
- Bring to boil, stirring as it thickens, then turn heat down low and leave to cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Use a heat diffuser under the pan if you have one.
- Spread mixture into four 20cm/4 inch circles, using small plates – lay on a baking tray.
- Leave to go cold and firm.
- Meanwhile, prepare red peppers if using fresh. If using peppers from a jar, ignore stages 8-10.
- Cut them in half, remove core and seeds and put the halves, rounded sides up, on a baking tray or grill pan.
- Cook under a hot grill for 10-15 minutes or until peppers tender and skin blackened in places.
- When they have cooled a little, remove the skins if you wish.
- Cut peppers into little strips.
- Heat grill, then transfer polenta rounds to the grill pan – or a baking tray that will fit underneath grill.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, until tops are crisp and browned in places.
- Turn over and do same for about 10 minutes, until crisp.
- Place some pepper strips on each polenta round and top with the basil leaves.