Vegetarian Slimming & Vegetarian Health
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup Low Fat, Low Sugar
Worth the extra time to bake the squash because it
brings out the flavour so wonderfully! You can
do the baking the day before if that’s easier – the
soup itself doesn’t take very long.
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 600ml/20fl oz/2½ cups vegetable stock or
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200º/400º/Gas Mark
- Cut squash in half, down through its stem. Scoop
out seeds, then put halves cut-side down onto a baking
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until tender, turning
halves over about half way through cooking time.
Then scoop flesh away from skin using a spoon and
- When you’re ready to make soup,
put onion into a non-stick pan, cover and cook gently
for about 7 minutes until tender and lightly browned,
stirring from time to time.
- Add garlic and cumin, stir over heat for a
few minutes until cumin smells aromatic, then add
squash flesh and stock/water.
- Bring to boil, reduce
heat and leave to boil gently for about 10 minutes,
to allow flavours to blend and to ensure everything
- Puree in a food processor or blender.
- Add a little
more stock/water if necessary to get consistency
to your liking.
- Season with salt (go easy if you’ve
used stock powder/cubes) and black pepper and serve.