Family Affairs: 7 Day Family Menus
- with peanut butter/margarine, topped with yeast extract (eg Marmite) or jam, plus fresh fruit.
- Other suggestions for toast toppings:
- Cashew or almond butter with yeast extract or jam
- Tahini with yeast extract or marmalade. (Tahini is a sesame seed paste packed with calcium, vitamins and protein and available in jars from supermarkets, delis and health stores)
- Banana and nut butter (peanut or other)
Cream ‘Cheese’ & Cucumber Sandwiches
- 1 tub cream ‘cheese’ (Eg Tofutti and Redwood brands of cream cheese* are dairy-free. The plain flavour tastes similar to Philadelphia cheese and is available from health food shops in the fridge section)
- 8 seeded, wholemeal rolls
- cucumber, sliced thinly
- Slice open rolls
- Spread ‘cheese’ thickly over rolls
- Add sliced cucumber.
- Wrap in plastic bag or put in a sandwich box.
*Available in various flavours, such as plain, garlic and herb
Savoury Shepherd’s Pie with Mushroom Gravy How it all Vegan
Don’t be put off by the three stages - it’s actually a simple and very delicious recipe. I’ve tried this out on sceptical meat-eaters and they love it!
- Pie Filling
- *1 medium onion, chopped
- *3 small carrots, chopped
- *½ cup spinach, chopped
- *1 stalk celery, chopped
- *1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup cooked or canned green or brown lentils, mashed
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- *1 medium onion, chopped
- *6-10 mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp shoyu soya sauce. (Brands such as Kikkoman are available at supermarkets in the Asian or foreign foods sections).
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Dried dill to taste
- 1/3-½ cup flour
- 11/3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp miso or yeast extract (eg Marmite), or more to taste
- *3 medium potatoes, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup soya milk
- 1 tbsp margarine or olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Chop all vegetables marked with a *- for pie, gravy and topping - and put in three separate piles.
- In a medium pot of water, boil potatoes until tender. Drain, but keep liquid for gravy.
- In a medium saucepan, sauté onions, carrots, spinach, celery and tomatoes in the oil. Once carrots are tender, add mashed lentils, basil, salt and soya sauce. Stir and simmer without a lid until liquid cooks off.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor or medium bowl, mash potatoes, milk, margarine and salt together. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C°/350F°/Gas mark 4.
- Now make the gravy. In a medium saucepan, sauté mushrooms and onions in oil on medium-high heat until onions are translucent and mushrooms tender.
- Add soya sauce, cayenne, basil, dill and pepper and stir together. Remove from heat and slowly stir in flour, mixing together well. It will become pasty and dry.
- Slowly start adding stock (add one teaspoon of vegetable bouillon powder to the potato liquid) a little at a time until everything becomes well mixed and there are no lumps (use a food processor/blender or whisk if it does go lumpy!). Leave it to simmer, stirring occasionally. Add more miso/yeast extract if necessary.
- Pour vegetable mixture for the shepherd’s pie into a lightly oiled oven dish and then layer the mashed potatoes on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- If serving with another vegetable, such as broccoli or peas, prepare and cook while shepherd’s pie is baking.
- Serve with the gravy and your vegetables.
Mixed Berry Crumble
A berry nice variation on an old favourite! You can buy frozen berries from the supermarket if they’re out of season for a vibrant vitamin C boost in winter - just remember to defrost them before cooking.
- 225g/8oz plain wholemeal flour
- 150g/5oz soft brown sugar
- 75g/3oz margarine
- 5ml/1 level tsp baking powder
- Fruity filling
- 45og/1lb mixed berry fruits
- 1-2 tbsp caster sugar, to taste.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4
- Sieve flour into large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle in sieved baking powder.
- Add margarine and rub in lightly, using your fingertips.
- When mixture looks crumbly and the fat dispersed evenly, add sugar and combine.
- In an oven-proof lightly greased dish, place fruit, then add crumble topping.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes. Serve with custard, vanilla dessert, soya cream or ice cream or yoghurt.